The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002. The prime focus of the course to impart the required skills and knowledge to the students. It is offered along with Chemistry, Botany and Zoology in two combinations, C B Bt and C Z Bt. This course will introduce you to the challenging aspects of genetic processes recurring in nature, which led to the birth and growth of Biotechnology and its allied areas of specialization: Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology,Recombinant DNA Technology, Microbial Technology, Gene Cloning, Cell biology, Environment Biotechnology, Animal and Plant Biotechnology. Providing financial and laboratory assistance to the students to carry out small scale research projects.
The Department has been constantly involved in diverse kinds of activities like
- U.G.C.Sponsored C.O.P in plant tissue culture certificate course (2009)
- V.G.S.T. SPiCE project by the students 2010 & 2011
- U.G.C. Sponsored One Day State level conference on Frontiers in Biotechnology(2014)
- Department received U.G.C. minor research project (2014)
- Department sanctioned with major research project from V.G.S.T Project Under C.I.S.E.E ,WITH Rs .30,00,000/- for three years (2015)
- Two days workshops on Forensic Science is proving add-on knowledge to the students
- Department entered in to an MoU with Aristogene Bioscience Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore,Abhivrud Multispeciality clinic and Diagnostics Bangalore, Scientific lab & Industrial Research Center Bangalore and Durga Femto Technologies Bangalore for conducting students projects, Training /Workshop Programme and certificate courses.
The above activities have provided an opportunity for the students and faculty to share their knowledge, experience and research findings
List of Field Visits/Study Tours
- Municipal waste water treatment, Bangalore
- IIHR, Bangalore
- Heritage Grape winery, Bangalore
- Probiosys, Bangalore
- Hindustan Uniliver ,Bangalore
- Kerala Agricultural Research University
- Sugar factory Mandya
- Bangalore Diary
- Lab Land Biotech ltd ,Mysore
- Infosys .Bangalore
- Tumkur Dairy
- Biopharma Kemwell,Bangalore
- National research institute for Grapes
- Venkateshwara hatcheries
- Sinhgad college of sciences
- Serum institute of India research foundation
- Vasanth dada sugar institute
- MITCON Biotechnology Labs
- Botanical tour to Khandala and lonavala ghats Pune
- Every year students are mobilized to attend Open day at Indian Institute of Science ,Bangalore
Course Duration : 3 Years full time
Affiliation: Bangalore University
Objectives & Goals of the department:
- To enter into collaborations more and more with the industries / institutions in the field of Biotechnology.
- Arrange more number of Guest lectures.
- Start more number of Student Research projects.
- Start a Journal club to inculcate interest in the students about research.
- Introduce the students to most recent technological aspects in Biotechnology.
- Guide students towards better career prospects.
- Our mission is to train students to be competent Biotechnologists who will be able to apply principles of life sciences to solve a wide array of problems in biotechnology. Graduates will be competent in areas such as plant and animal biotechnology, bioprocess engineering, environmental biotechnology and Biomolecular engineering.
- To Promote Technological Innovations for Sustainable Development Through Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Research.
- To enhance the capabilities of acquiring the knowledge and skills applying them for the betterment of mankind.
- To promote programmes and projects in Biotechnology to meet requirements of the field.
- Encouraging research culture in faculty and students.
- Exposure to the different disciplines which have been revolutionized by Biotechnology.
- Finally, our vision is to be a centre excellence in Biotechnology research and training that will train the most needed manpower in the various fields of biotechnology to meet the increasing demand
Eligibility: Pass in 10+2/equivalent with Chemistry & Biology
Career options after taking this course:
- Enter into M.Sc or Integrated Ph.D program
- DNA fingerprinting – a key technique in forensic science
- Traditional brewing and distilling industry
- Bioremediation technologies for the treatment of residues/wastes
- Marketing sector of Biotechnology products, pharmaceuticals and chemicals
- Production application specialist in Biotechnological instruments
- Health care centers and Clinical Laboratories
- Join in as Scientific writers in life science companies
- Medical transcriptionists
- Quality Analysts in Industries such as Distilleries, Dairy, Water purification plants, Health Industry, Cosmetic Industry, Textile and Leather Industry, Bio fertilizers and Bio pesticides manufacturing industry, Clinical Research in new drug discovery at National and International level
- Careers in all industries and research organizations associated to food and beverages,pharmaceuticals,horticulture,floriculture,hybrid products , Diagnostic Centers,condiments,enzymes,medicines and therapeutics
- Jobs in production ,research and development, quality assurance, quality control, managing human resources and economics
Curriculum Planning and Implementation
- Bridge courses conducted for the first year students
- Meticulous planning is done to cover the syllabus (Teaching plan and Lesson plan) conduct unit test, project work and assignments
- The mode of delivery is with extensive use of ICT and innovative methods of teaching and learning adopted.
- Preparing the students for success in education through the effective implementation of the curriculum
- Consistently improving student learning outcomes with special focus on the weak students
- Special lectures by eminent personalities from academia, premier research institute and industry are organized to update knowledge in the relevant field
- Department Library is constantly updated with new books, University prescribed semester books, Science magazines and journals
- Syllabus revised in the year 2013
- Feedback from the existing students and alumni are collected